Friday, September 07, 2007

First day of school

Yesterday was my first day back in the classroom, and I'm getting ready to go in again today. It hits me every year -- that overwhelming sense of happiness of seeing "my kids" again.

September is a bit rough, though, because I discover I've forgotten students' names. Not just the ones I don't know that well, but ALL of the students' names. It takes about three weeks to get it all back in my head again, and between now and then, I'm sure my self-deprecating humour will be in full force, making jokes about how I'm getting more senile the closer I get to forty.

Yesterday was kind of a crazy day, where I was filling in for a bunch of different teachers who had meetings, so it didn't really feel like teaching. Today, however, I'm teaching French all day, and I'm looking forward to that. (Takes a bit to get that part of my brain working, too.)

The beauty of the school where I work is that these people in the staff room are my friends, and I miss them over the summer. It's great to see them, and to find out what they did over the summer, and it's always a great feeling to see that they're glad to see me too.

Here's to another September!

PS -- Piper is still awesome. Just in case you thought I'd get through a post without mentioning her. *grin*

No comments: