Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Created Byhand Challenge: Distress Inks

This is the first time I've had a chance to participate in the Created Byhand Challenge. Tuesdays are normally pretty busy for me, but with back-to-back school cancellations due to snow, I've had a bit of time on my hands.

This week's challenge was to use Distress Inks. I have a whole stack of them, but I'm never really sure what to do with them. And, after creating this piece above, I'm no closer to that understanding. I was shocked to see how bright the yellow went when I sprayed it with water. I also used the red, the black, and one of the browns (but I don't remember which one).

I'm not in love with this piece, to be honest, but I felt better once I took a ballpoint pen and doodled on it. I was trying to think of a quotation that might apply to a herd of rampaging elephants, and this one leapt into my head and made me smile.

I couldn't find any of my usual glue (it was all in the bedroom and hubby was asleep), so I used ModPodge to glue it together and then over the whole piece. I like this ATC in person better than on the screen (the yellow isn't quite so eye-burning), but I still wasn't sure if I was going to post it at all.

On the plus side, I'm going to try my hand at altering some book pages soon, and I think I'll use these inks for the background because I like the coverage.

6 comments:

Sandy said...

Wow this is fantastic. Absolutely great.

Rosie said...

I think it really works well and I love that it's so bright! The doodles are excellent and I love the elephants.
I do sympathise with you re: distress inks. I think they can be really challenging and it's a good job there are lots of blogs to look and learn from (in my case!!)

K said...

very nice!

Anonymous said...

Great colours and great saying.

stamp and scrape said...

If you have a craft mat, swoosh coordinating colours on, starting with the lightest colour. Spritz with water, and then use cartridge paper or similar to lay on top. You can move it a bit if you want the colours to blend.
Allow to dry, or blast with hot air gun. You can use the residue on the mat by repeating this process with the same piece of paper to create colour spots. Lovely efects to be had here!
If in doubt still, go to Tim Holtz's blog - lots of tips there!
Final advice - just play!
Great atc! Ros

Mel♥ said...

love this