Thursday, December 09, 2010

What I've felt(ed) lately.

Needle FeltingIn the days leading up to my discovery of The New Awesome Job, I was playing around with my needle felting.  I can't fully express how addicting it really is, watching a lump of fuzzy stuff turn into a recognizable object.  Now, I've got a long ways to go before I can do something like Jen Scheer's Hubble Telescope, but I think I'm coming along nicely.

I started off with the little blue bird, who made me smile so much I gave him to a friend to brighten her day, too.  Then I made the snowman, complete with little felt hat.  And then I brushed the cat -- Zaphod Beeblebrox, the Maine Coon Cat, to be precise.

You see that brown heart in the upper right?  The brown is made from Zaph's fur.  I needle felted the fur into a flat shape and then used scissors to cut out the heart, adding the final touch of a little red roving for the centre.

I was working away on a little tree when I snapped two of my three needles, so I'll have to wait before finishing it and continuing along the way of needle felting madness.  I think Zaph, who loathes being brushed, just let out a sigh of relief.  :)

7 comments:

Rebekah said...

They are all so CUTE ... the snowman in particular! McDuff loves to be brushed ... up to a point. When it's enough, he just walks away ... hightailing it all.

KJ said...

Hmmm ... I might have to come brush McDuff. :)

Gillian Barfoot said...

Oh wow, these are ADORABLE -- I especially love your little bird -- these are works of art (and works of heart, too)!

Rebekah Johansson said...

How cool ... you installed it! :) Now I'll go and read the post.

June Cable said...

Needle felting it is so addictive. Good for you and happy felting. If you have any questions just give me a call: we have Felters AA

Susan McIntyre said...

Needle felting is my latest addiction also. I use a hand felter because I enjoy just holding it in my lap. So far I have only done flat felting. I made three large pieces for our art quilter's show here. I love distressing organza and silk with my needles.

michelle said...

love them! especially fond of that darling snowman. great job! keep creative :)