Sunday, April 24, 2011

Let's get this show on the road!

When I rented my studio space, one of the fleeting visions I had was of a table filled with my wares, with people looking at things I'd created, and perhaps even buying the occasional item.  Someday, I thought.  Someday.

Well, "someday" is coming a heck of a lot quicker than I thought it would!

One day last week, I received a Facebook message from my friend Licca Kikuchi.  How we met is such a cool story -- it was six or seven years ago, when she was on an educator exchange from Japan and I was working as a substitute teacher, covering an art class.  Licca's English was a little better than my Japanese (I think I can count to five, if pressured), but for the most part we communicated in gestures and smiles.  She carved a rubber stamp for me, featuring my name in Japanese, and then after a few months, we lost touch.

Fast forward about four years, and I ran into Licca again, this time in a local book store!  And she was speaking English just as well as I could!  It was so exciting, that we could actually talk to one another!  (Sadly, my Japanese skills hadn't advanced at all.)  Licca has made my hometown her home, and is sharing her culture through her art.  We keep meaning to get together for a "creative session," which hasn't happened yet, but we still bump into each other at the book store, the dog park, and even ginormous lobster statues a couple of hours away from home!

Anyway, back to that Facebook message.  Licca mentioned that there was an upcoming craft show that would be a fundraiser for Japan, and would I like to have a table?  After dealing with every emotion known to man in about four seconds (fear, excitement, concern -- yeah, those ones), I wondered if I could actually have enough things to fill a table by then.

Well, I'm going to do my best, folks.  I don't have to officially answer if I'm in or not until the day before the show (also known as this coming Friday -- yikes!), so that's a bit of a safety net.  But I want to do this.  If I wait until I feel ready to do my first show/sale, then it will likely be a posthumous retrospective!  This way I don't have time to talk myself out of it.  I only have time to create, CREATE, CREATE!

The question, of course, is: "Create what, exactly?"

Stay tuned.

 

9 comments:

Coralie Palmer-Lee Christensen said...

WOO HOO!!! You CAN do this. You don't have to have a ton of stuff...just get started and then it will snowball into something even bigger....

Marion M St Pierre said...

You go girl!! I'm so happy for you!! :) xo xo

Elsa Paterson said...

Where is the craft show? Details!

Johanne McCullough said...

Awesome! Would love to see what you will have! Your creative side is great!

Catherine Derry said...

Go for it!

KJ McLean said...

All the show details are here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=212906535387858

Angela2BPecked said...

Good luck, I am sure you will create something well...ummm....creative!...lol..

Jodi Frayne Bell said...

Enjoyed your blog very much!
Thank you so much for posting Licca's poster, in our mission for this fundraising effort, and SPREADING THE WORD! I look forward to meeting you Saturday Karen!

KJ McLean said...

Looking forward to meeting you, too! :)