Saturday, December 01, 2007

The Other Side of the Bridge: Mary Lawson

"This is a book you will be driven to share with friends."

So says The Gazette in Montreal, and I'm echoing it here.

This was November's book selection for the book club I never seem to get to, and because I hadn't finished the book by the time the meeting rolled around, and I didn't want it spoiled for me, I didn't go this time either. Having just finished it a few minutes ago, I am definitely glad I waited.

I read this book essentially in three sittings. I started it during a silent reading class at school, was unable to get back to it for a couple of weeks, read last night until I was afraid I'd fall asleep and lose my page, and then started reading again as soon as I woke up this morning. And I want to go back and read it again.

I don't want to get into the plot particulars, so as not to spoil it for anyone else, but I will say a few things:

  • This author so realistically creates characters that they not only live and breathe, but you feel like you've known them your whole life and would not be surprised to find pictures of them in your photo album of snapshots from all of the little milestones life has to offer.
  • What impressed me the most, characterization aside, is the way the author puts in one tiny sentence that doesn't seem to mean much at the time. This sentence comes back to you with devastating clarity one hundred and fifty pages later, creating a sinking feeling in your gut as you know what you are about to read, don't really want to, and yet are compelled to do so.
  • There are almost no loose ends at the end of this book. So many interconnecting stories are told, and yet you are left with no real questions, save one. There is one character you don't know what ultimately happened to, and yet, the moment I thought of this, I realized it didn't matter. And that, in itself, was a statement.
I am afraid to say anything else. Go read this book! You'll be very glad that you did!

No comments: