Thursday, December 30, 2010

And the nominees are ...

Well, I've decided (with a little help from my friends).  I'm going to apply for admission to a Bachelor of Education degree program at three universities and see what happens.  Since I have just over two weeks before the first deadline, I need to get a move on.

So here are my three choices, in alphabetical order, with general thoughts about each one.

Acadia UniversityFirst up is Acadia University, in Wolfville, Nova Scotia -- my Bachelor of Arts alma mater and where I intended to do my Bachelor of Education degree in the first place.  It's a 16-month program which has a May start date, which means (I think) that I wouldn't have to wait until September to get the ball rolling.  Although it is the longest program, and the furthest away, if I have to leave home, then going to a town where I lived for four years would be my first choice.  And I've always had a feeling of "unfinished business" about Acadia, like I've needed to go back and finish what I started.

Although people would say that with the other two university options, I could either commute back and forth, or come home every weekend, I think that would be more distracting than good.  I just want to settle in, do the very best I can, and get as much out of it as possible.  And I think that a little more distance (being five hours away rather than just one) might allow me to focus better on my studies.  And because I attended Acadia all those years ago, it may give me an edge when they're looking at my application.

In looking at the housing information for mature students, I'm most impressed with Acadia -- a centrally-located residence specifically for us.   In my heart of hearts, I want to go back to Acadia, but we shall see.  The application deadline is January 21, 2011.

St. Thomas UniversityNext on the list is St. Thomas University, located about an hour up the road in Fredericton, NB.  Five to seven years ago, I would have jumped at the chance to go to St. Thomas -- in fact, I have three rejection letters kicking around with STU letterhead on them.  But now it's third on my list, and if it weren't so close and an 11-month program, I probably wouldn't even apply there at all.

At the risk of them finding this blog and snatching up the REJECT stamp again (been there before -- can handle it again), I'm going to tell you why my feelings on STU have changed.  No, it's not the sting of the three previous rejections, but has more to do with the circumstances surrounding the last one.

The most prominent image of St. Thomas University is George Martin Hall, named (according to the STU website) "in honour of Reverend Monsignor George Martin who was President of St. Thomas University from 1975-1990. Over seven decades, Msgr. Martin served St. Thomas as a student, teacher, registrar, executive vice president, president and alumnus."  Well, it just so happens that "Father George" was my husband's great-uncle, and although I'm not the sort to pull strings, the third time around I was desperate enough to go see him.  All I wanted was an interview -- to get out of the automatic, marks-based slush pile so I could at least talk with a human being, and if they wanted to reject me after that, fine -- so Father George called the university on my behalf.  But there was no interview -- the only response I got was the same rejection form letter.  And that time I wasn't so much disappointed on my own behalf (because I'd already been rejected twice before), but downright angry because I felt it was a slap in Father George's face.  And to be honest, I think I'm still angry enough about it that it would take months before I'd be able to look at George Martin Hall without my blood starting to bubble.

Anyway, I'll be applying to St. Thomas, and naturally if they are the only one of the three to accept me, I will go.  But I hope that doesn't happen.  I really, really hope that doesn't happen.  The deadline to apply to STU is January 15, 2011.

University of New BrunswickAnd last but not least, there is the University of New Brunswick -- Fredericton Campus, also (funnily enough) in Fredericton.  Technically speaking, I'm not sure I have to apply to the university itself, but just the Bachelor of Education program, because I'm still a student at the University of New Brunswick's Saint John campus.  (It's been less than a year since I took my last course.)  Anyway, the deadline isn't until January 31, 2011, so I have time to call them to figure it out.

Like STU, UNBF is only an hour away, which means I could commute (although driving through moose-infested CFB Gagetown during winter storms is not appealing) or come home on weekends (which might be too distracting and time-consuming).  But being closer to home is nice.  Hubby and Piper might come visit me once in a while, and if I had to live in a strange city, one that I am already somewhat familiar with would be okay.  Plus the Provincial Archives are on campus (although since STU is also pretty much on the UNBF campus, they're close to STU too), and UNB's Planetary Space Science Centre "is the only NASA-supported planetary imaging facility in Canada."  Can't you just see me lurking around the PSSC?

The other plus for the two Fredericton universities is that since they are both in New Brunswick, my certification would already be from the province in which I plan to teach (although I don't think getting NB certification from a Nova Scotia university is as much hassle as it used to be).

So anyway, this is my game plan for the next month.  Talk to my references, get my applications in, and then try to forget about it all until March or April.  Guess what's going to be the hard part? :)

12 comments:

Jamie Melanson said...

Do you sleep?

Shawn Sullivan said...

I went to Acadia University. It is a small town and a very beautiful School.

Paul Saulnier said...

Good choice. You'd regret not applying!

KJ said...

Jamie, I sleep during the day. I work 11:30 PM to 7:30 AM, looking after an elderly lady. When she sleeps, I blog. :)

KJ said...

Shawn, I went to Acadia too! When were you there?! I was there 1988-1992 for my BA.

KJ said...

Paul, I think you're right. And, given the fact that I first met you as your teacher, your comment means a lot. :)

Shawn Sullivan said...

I went from 84-86 then 87-89.

KJ said...

Shawn, that's so funny! Were you in residence?

Catherine Derry said...

Glad you are applying. I bet there are a lot of creative teacher educators at Acadia. And I have met a few cool creative feminist teacher educators from UNB at conferences . I am sure you will be happy no matter where you go.

Catherine Derry said...

P.S. I think you would like some of the work of my former boss. "Reinventing Ourselves as Teachers" and "That's Funny You Don't look Like a Teacher" both by Sandra Weber and Claudia Mitchell. They engage themselves and their subjects in reflective self-study. I think you would like it.

Shawn Sullivan said...

I was in residence at Willett House for 2 years before going off campus. It was a Male Residence for years then turned female for a while.

Gillian Barfoot said...

Well, I went to Mt. A, so I have no advice re any of your choices. Except the consideration around distance, which you've already mentioned, which I'd think would be a reason not to go to Acadia, especially since it's a longer course as well. I understand the call of the Alma Mater, but you know it won't feel the same -- maybe it's better to keep your memories intact and go somewhere new... I don't suppose you can do any of the UNB education courses at UNBSJ?