Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The Book Thief

There are books that you read, and then there are books that meld with you, become a part of you, entwine with your soul.

The Book Thief is one such book.

It was, like so many of my books, a selection for the book club with which I am tenuously associated, and, like so many others, I didn't get it read in time. I started reading it in early January, and got about a quarter of the way in, when I put it down and didn't get a chance to pick it up again.

Fast-forward to early last week, when I taught a couple of English classes who were reading their independent novels all period. I was hooked, reeled in, and landed.

I don't know how much to say because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. I don't know if I can explain without saying too much.

The choice of narrator was brilliant, for he (I say "he", but ...?) is truly everywhere and all-knowing, and plays such a role in the story. In every story, in fact, when you think about it.

The characters become living, breathing people -- and, given the setting, they very well could have been. I will never forget them, the snapshots taken with words.

Words -- the book is all about the power of words. How they can enslave. How they can set you free. How they can deceive, and how they can shed light on the truth.

This book is now a part of me. I suggest you read it and see if it becomes a part of you, too. It takes a little bit to get used to the style of the narration, but the resulting intimacy is well worth it. Good things grow slowly, in order to be all the more strong.

This book reminded me of why I love to read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is one of those books that I bought months and months ago but still haven't gotten around to reading yet. Guess I'll have to now, eh?